(ARC) A Royal Second Chance Summer - Viv Royce


A Royal Second Chance Summer by Viv Royce Prince Nicolas is looking for a priceless royal heirloom. Trying to stay under the radar, he keeps that he’s a prince secret—especially from the cute antiques dealer he asks to help him. The longer it takes, the more time they get to spend together, though no matter how attracted he is to Lizzie, love is certainly not an option for the heir to the crown of Belfort.

Lizzie Cates fled her family’s new-found fame and fortune because life in the spotlight wasn’t for her. She loves her small town, where the most exciting thing on the schedule is the car parade for the Fourth of July. That’s just how she likes it, until Nicolas comes along. Lizzie finds herself falling for the caring man who craves the country and small-town life as much as she does.

Except Nicolas has a secret that will shatter both their dreams...

I was lucky enough to receive an Advanced Reading Copy of Viv Royce's A Royal Second Chance Summer thanks to NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, scheduled for release June 2020. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I've started reading more and more books from Entangled Publishing, as I find they manage to perfectly hit the note between romance, plot, characters and storyline and fit exactly what I'm looking for, and this was no exception. I do also have to give a special nod to the fact that unlike most other romances I've read lately, this is actually written in the third person, something I am a strong fan of (it takes a great book for me to be able to read it in first-hand view)

This was the first time I've read one of Ms. Royce's books, and this particular is the third in this series, and I am intrigued to see the others. I've kept on having to re-write this review as I can't accurately describe what I'm feeling about this book, but what I can say is that it was just perfectly lyrical and smooth. Now, lyrical. What do I mean by that? It just flowed so smoothly. I never felt that I was being blindsided or interrupted by events in the story, it just happened so fluidly and naturally and there was no doubt in my mind that what was going to happen actually did happen.

We're quickly introduced to our leads, and while our heroine was definitely likeable and hit all the right notes, I think our hero didn't hit all those right notes. There were a few moments where I was giving a "Really?" to some of his actions, and willing him to be better. While this was a great novel, I was a little underwhelmed by the romance between our leads, quickly coming on without much interaction, but this was completely saved by the romance between the secondary characters.

I did really enjoy the story as a whole, but I did feel the leading romance to be a little light, and the ending a little bit too quick, but as I mention earlier, it just flowed so smoothly that it wasn't really a detraction. I felt like I was reading a slightly more adult version of the Harlequin teen novels published back in the day, and I didn't want to stop reading. The plotline was quite unique in a sense, and I wish the novel had been slightly longer to explore our heroine's family and her relationship with them a little more, as well as the leading romance.

Overall, a very interesting read and one of the smoothest flowing books I've read in a long time. A thoroughly enjoyable light-hearted read and perfect for summer.

Rating: 3.5/5

Click here to purchase from Amazon, available 22nd June 2020.

0 comments:

Post a Comment