Number Neighbors by Emma Hart


Number Neighbours by Emma Hart
BAD IDEA #241: Sending a dirty text to your number neighbor.

In my defense, my friends did it too, and their neighbors took it as the joke it was. Mine didn’t.
He responded with a dirty text of his own. Next thing I know, I have a standing texting date every night at ten-thirty.

Until I have to miss it because the stray kitten who adopted me one week ago is sick. The only person I know who can help me at this time of night is my British next-door neighbor and local vet, Isaac Cooper. I’ll keep him overnight, he says. Here’s my number to call me in the morning, he says.

The problem? I know that number. Because I’ve been texting it every night for the last four days...

This blurb wouldn't have even been a premise a couple of decades ago, and I just had to read it. I've picked up one of Ms. Hart's books before and found it enjoyable, and put some of her series on my to read shelf, and finally managed to pick this one up again.

One of the things that I find most enjoyable about Ms. Hart's novels is the realism that she brings to her books. Bodily functions after romantic times? They're acknowledged. Awkward situations? Very acknowledged. Family members behaving in an interesting fashion? Definitely acknowledged. Her brand of romance acknowledges the reality of what would most likely happen to many of us in a romantic situation, but still gives it that romantic shine to make it a believable romance.

As mentioned earlier, this is definitely a unique plot that's not really widely utilised, and one that was quite interesting to read. I can honestly say that if I found out the person I was sexting with was my next door neighbor that I'd be chucking away the SIM and feigning complete ignorance. I was a little disappointed with our hero, and found him a bit too forceful for my liking. While he definitely had his redeeming qualities, I just felt that there was that special something missing to make me really like him. I found there was a lot of interaction with the side characters and detail about our heroine's newly acquired cat, but I would have liked a bit more detail about the romance between our two leads. The steamy atmosphere was quickly established, but I'd have liked a bit more romantic information to have been given.

It may sound a bit odd, but I think the best comparison I can make for this novel is it was like fast food. You know how sometimes you're just really craving fast food? It's good, it looks delicious, it's easy and fast to make, and when it's over you're happy you had it but you just wanted a little bit more of it? That's how I felt with this novel. It was great, it had a lot of what I was looking for and it satisfied most of what I wanted, but I was left just wanting that little bit more.

Overall, an interesting premise with a good plot.

Rating: 3/5

Click here to purchase from Amazon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment