Butterface (Hartigan Series Book 1) by Avery Flynn


It’s true. I’m not what most people would call “pretty” and, well, high school was rough. Fast forward ten years and life is good…Until a bunch of jerks think it’s hilarious to put the “butterface” (AKA me) on a wedding Kiss Cam with the hottest guy ever—and that old humiliation hits hard. I recognize him immediately. The sexiest cop in Waterbury and totally out of my league. But then he kisses me. And we totally forget the room, the crowd, everything. Then he tells everyone we’ve been dating for months.

Soon everything starts to feel too real, from adorable fights over “necessary” tools to fix my broken porch to surviving a free-for-all dinner with his six siblings to picking up where our last kiss left off. But there’s something he’s not telling me about why he’s really hanging around, and I’m pretty sure it has to do with my mob-connected brothers. Because this is not a make-over story, and Cinderella is only a fairy tale…

I'll confess that I accidentally read this series completely out of order, but after thoroughly loving the book I started with, I decided to go back to the beginning. After discovering Ms. Flynn back at the end of 2020, I've quickly read through most of her recent novels, loving the flow, characters and storylines. On that note, if anyone knows of any other great romance hockey series, definitely drop me a line and let me know!

I do have the benefit of hindsight with this series and I will say that this wasn't my favourite of the set (it's Tomboy, and it's been re-read twice), but it was still a strong novel. As mentioned above, you just can't help but like Ms. Flynn's characters. She does an excellent job of not only drawing you into the plotline and main characters, but also building a strong cast of secondary characters that you want to see more of (and thankfully results in more books in the series). It's the same with this novel, and you quickly grow to like all the characters, both major and minor. I did find that this was lighter than her other novels in the series, but there is still a good cast.

I will still confess though that I was a little confused with our heroine, Gina, and I'm still a little uncertain of her nickname, 'Butterface.' I did find in this novel that there wasn't too much of a physical description, other than her nose, but I wasn't entirely sure what was so wrong with her physical appearance. Given that this seemed quite relevant to the novel, I was a little confused, but it's not something that detracts from the novel, it just left me somewhat confused.

The plot itself wasn't similar enough to the rest of her series to make it a cut and paste copy, but reading all three novels, there are definite similarities enough to know that Ms. Flynn is following a similar formula in this series, but they are still very enjoyable and keep you entranced and reading. I did enjoy the chemistry between the characters, and this is a light-hearted romance, with nothing too heavy, that keeps you reading and definitely excited for the rest of the series.

Rating: 3.5/5

Click here to purchase from Amazon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment